A Silver Spring pest management company shares the following information: What wood termites do they prefer?
Termites Eat Wood: What is the Secret?
Many people believe termites eat wood. However, cellulose is what they eat. Cellulose is the nutrient that they use to make energy and stay alive. Wood is a good cellulose source, and termites attract it.
Can They Smell Wood?
Termites can respond to chemical odors, so they do smell wood. Termites will be attracted to anything plant-based and often search for other food sources.
How do they eat wood?
Although termites are tiny, they possess strong mandibles. They use their mandibles to cut through the wood in various directions, which softens the area they are eating and splinters the wood into smaller pieces so they can digest them better.
The fragments should be soft enough to break apart. The termite will be able to swallow the pieces, and these fragments will eventually make it to the termites’ stomachs. Termites can be difficult to exterminate without professional assistance. Contact a Silver Spring pest management company if you are experiencing termite infestations in your home.
Are Termites attracted to all types of wood?
Termites love wood, but they will eat other foods as well. Wood is not the only thing termites love; they are attracted by cellulose from dying plants and seek out non-live wood. Although termites may not be an issue for your home, some prefer living trees.
What wood do termites prefer?
- Untreated Softwood It is attractive to termites, particularly springwood.
- Untreated Hardwoods – They use the same reasons as softwoods but prefer the latter.
- Gumtree – Termites love gumtree as it is their natural habitat.
- Smooth, dry wood Hardwood floors, railings, and wainscoting are all attractive food sources to termites.
- Particle board Be careful if you have boards that are damp or swollen. It can be tempting to termites.
- Paper-based Materials – Plasterboard Lining papers are attractive to termites.
What wood do termites like but not prefer?
These wood types are secondary termites, which are secondary to the ones we have already mentioned, so they should be monitored. If you suspect that termites infest your home, contact MTB Pest Control, a licensed pest control service.
- Cedarwood – This isn’t their first choice. However, termites can succumb to it if they have no other food sources.
- Cypress wood This wood is naturally resistant to termites, mainly bark and heartwood.
- Redwood is also a natural termite deterrent.
- Teak is another termite-resistant wood
- Plywood- Termites may also infest this wood if it has not been pressure treated.
What Wood Type Isn’t Targeted by Termites
- Bamboo – Termites do not like bamboo. Experts believe that termites are attracted to bamboo because of its brittle outer shell, which is a natural deterrent. They prefer simpler meals.
- OSB is highly fragmented with wood strands so that termites wouldn’t target it.
- Pressure Treated Lumber has many preservatives and anti-pesticides. It also contains antifungal components. It is therefore not suitable for termites.
Do Termites Only Consume Wood?
Unfortunately, no. They are currently on the hunt for cellulose and will eat any food that contains it. This nutrient is found in wood and other plant-based materials. Cellulose can be found in many foods, such as corn, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and others. Cellulose is also a fundamental building block of many plants, and Termites can also eat many vegetables and plants.
Silver Spring’s Top-Rated Pest Services
We are MTB termite and pest control and have years of experience guaranteeing a termite-free environment. Our years of experience allow us to make the right decisions and use the best treatments. Contact us today if you’re looking for termite experts. We are happy to assist.
Rest Easy Tonight
We’ll get rid of your pests safely, effectively, and immediately.
CALL NOW FOR YOUR FREE ESTIMATE – (301) 613-6570